We routinely transport patients with severe sepsis and septic shock by both air and ground. Take a few moments to review these high yield management pearls from the 3rd edition of the Surviving Sepsis Campaign Guidelines.
- Goals during the first 6 hours of resuscitation:
- CVP 8-12 mmHg (a debate on the utility of CVP or lack their of is beyond the scope of this LIT)
- MAP > 65 mmHg
- Urine output > 0.5ml/kg/hr
- Central venous or mixed venous oxygen saturation 70% or 65% respectively (grade 1c)
- In patients with elevated lacate levels we should target resuscitation to normalize lactate (grade 2c)